|Your link to the past since February 1996! Search for your ancestors in free Ships' Passenger lists, Naturalization Records, Palatine Genealogy, Canadian Genealogy, American Genealogy, Native American Genealogy, Huguenots, Mennonites, Almshouse Records, Orphan Records, church records, military muster rolls, census records, land records and more. marks FREE genealogy records.|
Olive Tree Genealogy was chosen by Family Tree Magazine as one of the 101 Best Genealogy Websites 2017!
Check out the Genealogy Books written by Olive Tree Genealogy!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and and Amazon.ca
|Organize Your Genealogy in Evernote in 10 Easy Steps is a must have!|
Genealogy Mystery Book!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery
by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
Genealogy NewsletterJOIN the FREE Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter. Be the first to know of genealogy events and freebies. Find out when new genealogy databases are put online. Get tips for finding your elusive brick-wall ancestor.
Share With OthersShare with other genealogists! Tweet this page! Tweet
Simcoe County Descriptions of Townships from Smith's Canadian Gazetteer published 1846:
Descriptions of Townships from Smith's Canadian Gazetteer published 1846:
Please use your browser's FIND feature to find the city or township of interest
BARRIESo called after Commodore Barrie, the District town of the Simcoe Distriet is beautifully situated at the head of Kempenfeldt Bay, in the township of Vespra, thirty-two miles from Holland Landing, and forty miles from Penetanguishene Barrie was first settled in the year 1832; in 1837 it contained about twenty-eight families In 1843 the county of Simcoe, until then part of the Home District was declared a separate district, with Barrie for its district town. Since then it has increased rapidly. The Situation was well chosen and is healthy. Should the contemplated canal from the bay to Lake Huron, through Willow Creek and the Nottawasaga River, ever be formed, Barrie, which is truly in the woods, will have uninterrupted water communication with the St. Lawrence At present, the road from Barrie to the Holland Landing, is, in the spring and fall, almost impassable for waggons. The road to Penetanguishene is much better, running for the most part along a stony ridge of land. mail, during the spring and autumn, is carried on horse-back; and through summer partly on horseback, and partly by water. A new steamboat, the "Beaver" was launched during the summer of 1844: she is an excellent boat, and has good accommodation. The banks of the bay have a rather sombre stance, being almost totally devoid of clearing: most of the timber on the banks is pine. Town lots of a quarter of an acre, in the old survey (or original town plot are in the hands of private individuals, and sell at from £20 to £50, some higher. An addition has lately been made to the town-plot, and the lots a new survey sell at from £5 to £12 lOs. each; they are mostly in the hands of the Crown. The public buildings are the jail and court-house. The a handsome stone building; the court-house is of brick, and has 30 beautiful pat of; the two cost the district nearly £9,000. There are three churches chapels: viz, one Episcopal and two Methodist. There is an excellent district school (where private pupils are taken); a mechanics’ institute, and.cricket club.The inhabitants are principally English, Irish and Scotch, and number about 500.The following government and district offices are kept in Barrie: Judge of District Court, Sheriff, Clerk of Peace, Registrar, Inspector of Licenses, Crown• Agent, District Clerk, Clerk of District Court, Deputy Clerk of Crown. Professions and Trades.—One physician and surgeon, one lawyer, six stores, tanneries, one surveyor, three taverns, four blacksmiths, one waggon maker one baker, one saddler, one cabinet maker, one watchmaker, six shoemakers three tailors, two butchers, one bank agency “Upper Canada.”Agent for Home District Mutual Fire Insurance Company W.B. Smith.Steamboat Fares:— To Holland Landing 8.. 9d. c’y. To Orillia 8.. 9d. To ditto by Orillia 118. 3d. Shorter distances in proportion. Principal Tavern.—” The Queen’s Arms.”
ADJALAA township in the Simcoe District: is bounded on the north by the township of Tossorontio; on the west by Mono; on the south by Albion; and on the east Tecumseth. In Adjala 20,793 acres are taken up, 2929 of which are under cultivation. There is a swamp extending across the township, south of its centre, on both the north and south of which there is some excellent land, level, with good hard timber. There are some good farms in the township. This, and Tossorontio which joins it, are long, narrow townships. On the town line between Adjala and Mono, the land is hilly and sandy. There are limestone quarries on the line. There are 4,000 acres of crown lands for disposal at 8 shillings per acre, to purchase which application must be made to the Crown Lands Agent at Barrie. There are two saw mills in the township.Population in 1842 (since when no census has been taken), 890.
ST. VINCENTA Township in the Simcoe District; is bounded on the north by the Nottawasaga Bay; on the west by the township of Sydenham on the south phrasia; and on the east by Nottawasaga Bay and the township of Collingwood In St. Vincent 17,028 acres are taken up, 1592 of which are under cultivation This township is beginning to settle up fast: it contains good-land, and some thriving farms. The principal settlements are a short distance from the bay There is an Indian village on the bay, near the town line between St. Vincent and Sydenham, the inhabitants of which possess a fine tract of land in the neighbourhood. St. Vincent was added to the Simcoe District in 1844, previous which time, it formed a portion of the Home District. One thousand five hundred acres of Crown lands are open for sale in the township, at per acre. There are two grist and two saw mills in the township.
All rights reserved
Copyright © 1996-present
Contact Lorine at