To unsubscribe from LIST mode (single messages come to your mail box) send a message to
Leave the subject line blank, and write into text field only one word
Do not use a signature, signature lines, or graphics
Going on Vacation
There is no formal NOMAIL mode.
All you have to do is follow the directions above and unsubscribe
when you want the messages to stop, and then when you want them
to start again, simply subscribe again.
Posting Messages to the List
If you'd like to post a message so everyone on the mailing
list receives it, just send it to BARHEIT@rootsweb.com. It
will then be sent on to everyone in both mail and digest mode.
Tips for using a Mail List
Do's & Dont's
- Use a meaningful subject line such as "Johannes Barheit in Albany 1660s" rather than a vague subject line such as "My list of ancestors"
- Do STAY ON TOPIC! Make sure your query is about an ancestor named Barheit!
- Do include dates and locations with your query. The more information you provide, the more chance other subscribers will be able to assist you.
- Be polite to other subscribers. Flames (personal attacks on others) will not be tolerated. Threats or intimidation will result in a permanent ban from the list
- Do not forward spam, chain letters, virus warnings or hoaxes to the list. Chain letters, virus warnings and hoaxes clog the server. Anyone spamming will be immediately banned.
- Do not get involved in any public disputes or flame wars. Do not take matters into your own hands if you think someone has been abusive. Report the matter to the listowner if you feel you must but rest assured that I read EVERY post sent and I will deal with inappropriate posts privately.
- Do not send attachments. Many of our subscribers
are using software that cannot read attachments.
- Don't start a meaningless ROLL CALL (a list of names with no details) on the list.
INAPPROPRIATE OR INFLAMMATORY POSTS
The list guidelines are few. They don't require much from each
subscriber other than common courtesy and common sense.
Those who choose to ignore guidelines will be encouraged
(privately) to participate on the list in a positive way --- and within
Subscribers who can't behave may be suspended at any time and without notice.
Subscribers may be placed on moderated status until such time as they are willing to abide by list rules
Suspended subscribers are *always* welcome back provided they
can follow the guidelines.
Permanent suspension may occur if a subscriber refuses to comply with list rules
Anyone fowarding email from a suspended subscriber may be
removed from the list without warning.
If a suspended subscriber attempts to post to the list
under a false email or asks another person to forward a message
from them, they will be suspended from the Barheit mailing list.
Good luck in your quest, and have fun on the list!
OK, Where's the Genealogy??
You can begin your search of Barheit ancestors in New Netherland & New York at The Olive Tree's New Netherland Genealogy Resources Page