The King's (Carolina) Rangers was one of the most active Provincial Corps to
serve during the American Revolution. The corps was originally raised in
June of 1776 as the East Florida Rangers and commanded by Lt. Col. Thomas
Brown. The East Florida Rangers was not a Provincial unit, but rather a
corps raised and paid for by the government of East Florida. As such they
took part in innumerable skirmishes in Georgia and in the defense of East
Florida. They took part in the invasion of Georgia in 1779 and were
reorganized as a Provincial regiment, renamed the King's (Carolina) Rangers,
still under the command of Lt. Col. Brown. They were very active in Georgia
and South Carolina throughout 1779 and took part in the defense of the city
of Savannah during the French and American siege later that year.
the corps was moved to Augusta, Georgia and in September of that month was
besieged by a Rebel army under Colonel Clark. The siege was soon lifted and
the corps remained there until besieged again in May of 1781 by Rebels under
Lt. Col. Henry Lee. This time, after a gallant defense, the post fell and
the regiment surrendered on 5 June 1781. Over the summer there was a general
exchange of prisoners, so the regiment mostly returned to active duty. They
took an active part again in many of the skirmishes throughout Georgia in
1781 and 1782. On 24 February 1782 the Georgia Loyalists were merged with
the KCR, making one, stronger corps. With the evacuation of Savannah in July
of 1782, the KCR embarked for Charlestown, SC, where they remained until
October, 1782. Then, with the Royal North Carolina Regiment and the South
Carolina Royalists, they embarked for St. Augustine to garrison East Florida.
After spending most of 1783 in garrison there, they sailed for Nova Scotia
where the regiment was disbanded. The majority of the men settled on the
regimental land grant at Country Harbour.
The muster rolls are in the National Archives of Canada, RG 8, "C" Series,
Volumes 1892 & 1898.