Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
New Netherland New York Genealogy
New Netherland Settlers Books available
* Willem Pieterse Van Slyke aka Neef - A genealogy to five generations...
* The Van Slyke Family in America: A Genealogy of Cornelise Antonissen Van Slyke...
* The Barheit Family Revealed: A Genealogy of Hans Coenradt and Barenjte Jans Straetsman...
* The Stevensen and Jacobsen Families...
* The Story of Adriaen Vincent and his Wife Madaleen Eloy...
Baptisms in Gravesend, New York Church Records 1715-1763
The following is a transcription by Peter Divine, July 2001, from LDS Microfilm #1016877, Item #2. This is a microfilm of a handwritten transcript (p. 129-195) in possession of the Holland Society of New York, New York City. The transcription of original records was done by Dingman Versteeg into 2 ledger books which are items 1 & 2 on the microfilm. Only the front-side of each leaf was used (only the odd-numbered pages). The first book contains most of the records of the Dutch Reformed Church (Tarrytown, New York). The second book consists of the remainder of the Tarrytown records (pages 1-127) followed by the Gravesend records (pages 129-195). The Gravesend records are for baptisms, 1715-1720, 1743-1750, 1762-1805; members, 1763-1774, 1783-1805; elders and deacons, 1763-1805. Gravesend, Kings County, New York, is now a part of the Borough of Brooklyn in the city of New York.
1. "do" means "ditto", used in place of re-writing the surname of the previously mentioned individual.
2. Notes and question marks in brackets [?] were inserted by Peter Divine in places where the microfilm was damaged or the handwriting of Dingman Versteeg was unreadable.
3. All other notes and question marks, including those in parenthese (), were inserted by Dingman Versteeg.
4. I did not transcribe the lists of elders and deacons (pages 129-137).
Lorine's Note: I split the records into 10 files. To choose what file you want to see, refer to the menu choices at the bottom of each page
Churchbook of the Reformed Dutch Church of J. Christ gathered at Gravesend
Containing election and ordination of Consistories, names of the baptized, members, and marriages.*
*No record of marriages could be found in the register
Records are the format: Child, Date, Parent, Parent, Witness, Witness, Witness
Gravesend Baptisms Page 139
- Jacobus,Sept.25 1715, Barnardus Ryder, Ariaentje do, Jacob Suydam, Seitje do
- Gerrit,,Elbert Stoothoff, Johanna do, Gerrit Stoothoff, Johanna do
- Leben, Nov 21,Daniel Grigs, Catharina do, John Griggs, Martha do his dau
- Bernardus,,Jan Ryder, Aaltje do,Bernardus Ryder, Ariaentje do
- Isaac,March 23 1716, Jan Luycusen Van Voorhees, Maaike do, Isaac Hegman, Maritje do
- Minne,,Fernandus Van Sikelen,Geertuy do, Minne Van Voorhees, Williamtje. Sister Brother.
- Cornelis,,Cornelis Brigs, Antje do, Cornelis Striker, Miriam Hetlock
- Johannis, Sep 30, Samuel Gerritsen, Ida do, Jan Ryder, Aaltje do
- Joost,,William Van Nuys, Magdalena do, Joost Derjes, Helena do
- Trintje, Dec. 30, Gerrit Lammersen, Egje do, Jacob Lammerse, Trintje do
- Maria,, John Griggs, Antje do, William Williamse, Martha Griggs
- William, 1717, Barend Jansen, Mary do, Thomas Stillwell, Antje do
- Samuel, Sep 20, Benjamin Griggs, Margerietje do, Samuel Griggs, Martha do
Gravesend Baptisms Page 141
- Denys, Sep 22 1717, Jacob Vanderbilt, Neeltje do, Hendrick Hendricksen, Helena do
- Johannis, Nov 24, Jan Reyder, Aaltje do, Hendrick Wyckhoff, Helena do
- Willem, Jan. 5 1717/8, Pieter Willemsen, Cornelia do, Willem Willemse, Jannetje Hobberd
- Elisabeth, May 22 1718, Thomas Stillwell, Antje do, Barend Jansen, Maria do
- Femmetje, July 13, Andries Westervelt, Dirkje do, Jacob Perdon, Femmetje do
- Eva,, Nicolaas Willemse, Lucretia do, Steven Koersten, Egtje do
- Johannis,, Pieter Willemse, Cornelia do, Barend Jansen, Maria do
- Wyntje,, Jacobus Stryker, Martha do, Wyntje Stryker, Cornelis do
- Barend,, Benjamin Griggs, Martha do, John Gridge, Antje do
- Abraham, Oct 5, Jacobus Emans, Grietje do, Ferdinandus Sickelen, Eva his dau
- Elisabeth,, Samuel Poling, Grietje do, Fernandus Sickelen Jr, Maria do
- Martha, April 26 1719, John Griggs, Antje do, Benjamin Griggs, Margrieta do
- Anna, April 3 1720, William Goolder, Geesje do, Richard Stillwell, Catrina his dau
Gravesend Baptisms Page 143
- Jannitje, 1745, Joris Lott, Maria do
- Nicholas,, Nicholas Stillwell, Aeltje do
- Elias, 1746, James Hubbard, Aaltje do
- Femmitje,, Cornelis Van Kleef, Femmitje do
- Machiel,, Jacob Sebrun, Femmitje do
- Jannitje, 1743, Dirk Amerman, Jannitje do
- Maria,, Fill Reed*, *Another register says: Philip Rood
- Maria, 1750, Dirk Ameman, Jannitje do, Barend & Maria Johnson
- Antje,, Albert Terhune, Anatje do, Roulof Terhune, Maria do
- Samuel,, Johannis Gerritse, Elisabeth, Samuel Gerritsen, Eida do
- Jacob,, Joost Derje
- Cornelis, July 25 1762, Cornelis Emans, Eva do
- Debora, Oct. 3, Barend Jansen, Neeltje do
- Hanna, May 29 1763, Michiel Stryker, Hanna do
Choose from Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1715-1763 | Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1763-1768 | Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1768-1772 | Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1772-1782 | Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1783-1789 | Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1789-1794 | Gravesend New York Church Baptisms 1794-1798 | Gravesend New York Church baptism records 1798-1805 or Gravesend New York Church Members Lists 1763-1768 | Gravesend New York Church Members Lists 1769-1805