Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
New Netherland, New York Genealogy
Mailing Lists for New Netherland (New York)
This list, run by me (Lorine), is for historical and genealogical discussion of
New Netherland Colony. The first European settlements in the States of Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania were built by the Dutch beginning in 1624 and formed the Dutch colony of New Netherland, or Nieuw Nederlandt. New Netherland was settled in 1624 by the Dutch but was a multi-cultural colony. Anyone with an interest in,
or ancestors from, New Netherland is welcome!
Researchers can subscribe to my NEW-NETHERLAND mailing list in mail mode by
sending a message to NEW-NETHERLAND-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org
that contains the word
and nothing else.
To unsubscribe, or for more details and help, please refer to alternate website Scroll down to NEW NETHERLAND on the new page that loads
To post to both NEW-NETHERLAND-L and NEW-NETHERLAND-D, all
messages should be sent to NEW-NETHERLAND-L@rootsweb.com. You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
New Netherland Mailing List Searchable Archives
Do's & Dont's
- Use a meaningful subject line such as "Looking for Cornelis Antonissen Van Slyke 1600s Albany area" rather than a vague subject line such as "My list of ancestors"
- Do STAY ON TOPIC! Make sure your query is about historical or genealogical New York or New Jersey and its settlers
- Do include dates and locations with your query. The more information you provide, the more chance other subscribers will be able to assist you.
- Please provide your sources for your information, both in your queries and in your answers on the list. Remember, providing sources allows others to verify the information given.
- Be polite to other subscribers. Flames (personal attacks on others) will not be tolerated. Threats or intimidation will result in a permanent ban from the list
- Do not forward spam, chain letters, virus warnings or hoaxes to the list. Chain letters, virus warnings and hoaxes clog the server. Anyone spamming will be immediately banned.
- Do not get involved in any public disputes or flame wars. Do not take matters into your own hands if you think someone has been abusive. Report the matter to the listowner if you feel you must but rest assured that I read EVERY post sent and I will deal with inappropriate posts in private email.
- Do not send attachments. Many of our subscribers are using software that cannot read attachments.
- Don't start a meaningless ROLL CALL (a list of surnames with no details) on the list.
INAPPROPRIATE OR INFLAMMATORY POSTS
The list guidelines are few. They don't require much from each subscriber other than common courtesy and common sense.
Good luck in your quest, and have fun on the list!
- Those who choose to ignore guidelines will be encouraged (privately) to participate on the list in a positive way --- and within the guidelines. That will be Warning # 1
- Warning # 2 (if required) results in a one month suspension. Temporarily suspended subscribers are *always* welcome back provided they can follow the guidelines.
- Permanent suspension occurs after 2 warnings. Warnings #1 and #2 may be skipped and a permanent suspension enforced at any time at the listowner's discretion.
- Anyone fowarding email from a suspended subscriber will be put on moderated status without warning. Moderated status means any messages you send to the list must be approved by me first.
- If a suspended subscriber attempts to post to the list under a false email or asks another person to forward a message from them, they will be banned from the list.
GEN-NYS-L. This mailing list is for New York State researchers. You must be a subscriber to post to the list. To subscribe, send the
following to email@example.com: subscribe
NETHERLANDS. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Netherlands (aka
Holland). You must be a subscriber to post to the list. To subscribe send the word "subscribe" (without the quotes) as
the only text in the body of a message to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or
email@example.com (digest mode).
Your Name in History
Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box
|Search Olive Tree Genealogy Family of Websites