|Your link to the past since February 1996! Search for your ancestors in free Ships' Passenger lists, Naturalization Records, Palatine Genealogy, Canadian Genealogy, American Genealogy, Native American Genealogy, Huguenots, Mennonites, Almshouse Records, Orphan Records, church records, military muster rolls, census records, land records and more. marks FREE genealogy records.|
| Olive Tree Genealogy Blog was one of MyHeritage top 100 Genealogy blogs, one of the 25 Most Popular Genealogy Blogs by Technorati and one of the Top 40 Genealogy Blogs 2011 & 2012.
See the list of Ten People All Genealogists Should Follow On Twitter
| Check out the Genealogy Books written by Olive Tree Genealogy!
Organize Your Genealogy in Evernote in 10 Easy Steps is a must have!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and the CreateSpace eStore
|The Peer Family in North America in 6 Volumes are available for sale!|
New Netherland & New York Genealogy
The Van Sickelen, Van Sickles Family in New Netherland New YorkZacharias Van Sickles married 1660 Anna VAN VALKENBURGH. They had eight children
1) Anne Sickles who married Abraham Isaacs
2) Robert b. C1665 Albany, N.Y. d. 12/27/1729 Bergen, N.J. Married 4/5/1686 in Albany, N.Y. to Gertrude RIDDENHARS probably of Hackemack, Virginia
3) Lambrecht Sickele b. 1661 m1 Maria Jansen 1690 m2 Wyntie Dykman 7/19/1717
4) Elizabeth m William Barantse
5) Zarcharias b. 1670 m. Marytie Janse Brevoort 8/29/1693 in NYC, NY
6) Thomas m Jannetje Janse Brevoort 4/5/1702
7) Gritjie bp 5/17/1684 Albany, N.Y.
8) Lea bp 5/8/1687 Albany, N.Y.
Douglas van Buskirk citing Our Nordic-Viking Roots by Gene Van Sickle. Peter Stuyvesant met Zacharias Sickelen in Curacao and took him as a cadet coporal in 1655 to Fort Orange. Citation by Douglas van Buskirk personal comment from Gene Van Sickle who quotes from the book Colonial Lineages in America
"... Ferdinandus Van Sicklen, Born in Ghent, Belgium, 1635 settled near Coney Island ..."
"... There was however one Zacharia Van Sicklen also born in Ghent, Belgium and lived in Vienna, town of Utrech Provence of Holland. Zach, undoubtedly was a cousin of Ferdinandus, was a cadet with the Dutch West India Co. And came to America in 1647 as a guard and orderly of Peter Stuyvesant who was to become Governor of New Amsterdam. Zach was first stationed at Ft. Orange (Albany, N.Y.) And married Anna Volkenburgh. After some of their children were born Zach dropped the Van and spelled his name SICKLES, however at least on of his sons retained the VAN.No firm record has been found to indicate Zacharias place of birth. According to Rosalie Bailey in her book Pre Revolutionary Dutch Houses she lists Vienna, Austria as his home. In the Ancestry of Franklin Merriam Peabody he is listed as Zacharias Von Weenan and as from Vianen, Utrech Province, Holland. Vianen is a small town approximately ten miles south of Utrech, Holland.
'Zacharias settled in Albany and in 1660 married Anna Van Valkenberg, the daughter of Lambert Van Valkenberg. They had nine known children. The oldest, Robert was born in 1664 at Albany and died 27 Dec 1729. Lambert, born in 1666 died 1722, preferred to be called Van Sickel after living with the Van Sickel line in New Jersey. Zacharias born 1670, Anna Elizabeth, Maria, Thomas born 1680, Fetjye ,Griee christened in 1684 and Leah born 1687 were their other children.
Around 1692 Zacharias Sr moved to New York to be with his son Robert and in 1693 married Maria Brevoort. They had a child Sacharias, born 1698 in New York. Zacharias Sr received a land grant in 1669 for 1000 acres near Nyack, New York that later was called Sickletown.
Zacharias was a cadet in the service of the West India Trading Co. And came from the island of Curaco with (Gov.) Peter Stuyvesant, in 1646 as a corporal at Fort Orange 1670. Freeman in New Amsterdam 1698: was granted land on Whitehall Street, N.Y.
".... earned as Adelborst [a gentleman soldier - more than a common soldier. In another place he is called corporal] according to the settlement thereof signed by Rodenbergh and Verellon; further the said Zacharias Sickels VAn Weenen, hereby appoints and empowers the lawful holder of this paper to ask, demand and receive said sum of thirty-six guilders and ten stuivers in fatherland from said right honorable directors of the privileged West India Company at the Chamber of Amsterdam, and having resolved it be pass acquitance therefor, which shall be valid as though it were given by the subscriber himself, moreover to do and perform all things, in order to obtain the aforesaid sum, which the subscriber, himself being present could or might do; also if the matter demands more special authority than stnads expressed in this paper, promising to all times to hold good and true whatever by virtue of this paper shall be done, under pledge of his person and estate.
A History of the Van Sickle Family in the United States of AmericaBY John W. Van Sickle, A.M., M.D., Ph. D. [http://homepage.mac.com/radewanc/VanSickleBook/index.html]
* Preface 380 KB (pdf)
* Introduction 424 KB (pdf)
* Biographical Sketch of the Autho 626 KB (pdf)
* Early History of America 2.10 MB (pdf)
* Early History of the Netherlands 900 KB (pdf)
* Derivation of Name 420 KB (pdf)
* The Ancestral Lineage 868 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Ferdenandus Van Sycklin 672 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Gerret Van Sickelen 1.40 MB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Andrew Van Sickl 2.30 MB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Andries Van Sickelen 660 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Johannes Van Sicklen 784 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Jacobus Van Sicklen 1.30 MB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Reinier Van Sickelen 3.40 MB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Andries Van Sickelen 424 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Ferdinandus Van Sickelen 568 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Jan Van Sickle 436 KB (pdf)
* The Genealogy of Peter Van Sickle. 5.30 MB (pdf)
* Conclusion. 100 KB (pdf)
All rights reserved
Copyright © 1996-present
Contact Lorine at