Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
Looking for a Miltary Ancestor? This is the place!
Search Olive Tree Genealogy Family of Websites
Orphan & Orphanage Records
Orphan Home School Building from Across the Lake in Ohio 1906
Photo courtesy of Family Tree Connection. Family Tree Connection has many orphan records online and Olive Tree Genealogy is grateful for permission to use these photos of orphans and orphan homes.
Five Points House of Industry, New York
This institution was established in 1851, by the Rev
Lewis M Pease, who
for nearly three years conducted its affairs without public
aid, in what was then the most depraved and wretched portion
of the city. It was incorporated under the general law,
March 3d, 1854, since which it has been under the management
of a board of trustees, with a superintendent in charge. Its
location is number one hundred and fifty-five Worth street.
The building was erected in 1854. It is constructed of
brick, and is six
stories in height. An additional edifice, four stories in
height, is now being built, and will be completed at an
early day. The buildings are plain and substantial, and when
finished will accommodate four hundred inmates.
The objects and purposes of the institution are as
The institution, from its opening, has been mainly
devoted to the care
and support of orphan, destitute and truant children.
Assistance however, is also extended to adult persons, many
of whom are friendless women, but of those admitted to the
house, a large proportion are children. These are properly
instructed, and, as fast as practicable, they are sent to
the country and placed in families.
- 1st. To assist temporarily the destitute of
all classes by providing
for them employment, protection and instruction, according
to their necessities.
- 2d. To furnish entire or partial support for children
neglected or abandoned, or incapable of sustaining
- 3d. To properly educate and religiously instruct those
coming under its
The records show that over sixteen thousand persons have
to the institution since its opening. The number supported
for the past year was three hundred and sixty-three, the
daily average was two hundred and fifty, and there were
remaining, October 1st, two hundred and forty-five. Of
these, two hundred and three were children, and forty-two
The institution, from its organization, has been
supported chiefly by
private donations, but recently it has received aid from
public sources. Its property, real and personal, is valued
to be worth $220,000. It has an invested und of $13,000, but
is indebted upon the real estate of $50,000. The receipts
for the past year, including $31,037.01 from donations, were
$55,262.90, and the expenditures $58,453.72.
The inspection was made October 21st, 1868, and October
assisted by Commissioner Dwight. At the latter date there
were present two hundred and forty-seven inmates. Of these,
two hundred and four were children, and forty-three women.
The institution was in excellent condition. Its officers are
active in the discharge of their duties, and its affairs
appear to be judiciously managed.
* source: *Board of State
Commissioners of Public Charities of the State of New York,
1870; Argus Company, Printers, Albany, p. 60-61 *transcribed
& submitted by Linda Conpenelis Schmidt, 16 July 2007.
Published on Olive Tree Genealogy with permission