Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
Looking for a Miltary Ancestor? This is the place!
Search Olive Tree Genealogy Family of Websites
Orphan & Orphanage Records
Orphan Home School Building from Across the Lake in Ohio 1906
Photo courtesy of Family Tree Connection. Family Tree Connection has many orphan records online and Olive Tree Genealogy is grateful for permission to use these photos of orphans and orphan homes.
Five Points Mission, New York
This institution was founded in 1850, by an association
ladies, and incorporated by an act of the Legislature,
passed on March 20th, 1856. Its location is number sixty-one
Park street, nearly opposite the Five Points House of
The building was erected in 1853. It is constructed of
brick, and is
four stories high. It furnishes a chapel, several large and
well conditioned school rooms, and apartments for a limited
number of permanent inmates. The edifice is plainly and
substantially built, and is well suited for the purposes of
The objects of the institution are three-fold:
The institution, from its organization, has been
maintained largely by
private donations and collections in churches. It has
received occasional appropriations from the city treasury,
but no aid from the State, until the past year.
- 1st. To provide food, clothing, and other necessaries
for the poor of
- 2d. To properly instruct orphan, abandoned and destitute
as far as practicable, secure for them situations in
- 3d. To furnish shelter and temporary aid for those
without homes, and
needing protection and care.
The property is estimated to be worth $78,000, and the
free from debt. The receipts for the past year were
$24,130.29; and the expenditures, $23, 132.02. There were
also received from bequests for building purposes
$22,166.31, not included in the above statement.
The schools bear upon their rolls nearly one thousand
children, with a
daily average attendance of over four hundred. The scholars,
whenever it is needed, are furnished with clothing, and each
pupil is provided daily with a dinner. During the past year,
eleven children were adopted into families, fifty-five were
otherwise secured comfortable homes, and one hundred and
twenty-six adults were provided with situations.
A free library, composed principally of books,
periodicals and papers,
donated to the institution, has recently been opened. This
offers a comfortable and attractive place for those without
homes, to spend their evenings and leisure hours; and it is
anticipated by the managers that much good will result from
The institution was visited October 25th. It is
controlled by a board of
lady managers, assisted by an advisory committee of
gentlemen. A superintendent is in immediate charge, and the
schools are conducted by competent female teachers. The
institution, at the time of inspection, was in excellent
condition, and its affairs appear to be well conducted.
source: Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities of
the State of New York, 1870; Argus Company, Printers,
Albany, p. 61-62. *transcribed & submitted by Linda
Conpenelis Schmidt, 16 July 2007.
Published on Olive Tree Genealogy with permission