Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
Looking for a Miltary Ancestor? This is the place!
Search Olive Tree Genealogy Family of Websites
Orphan & Orphanage Records
Orphan Home School Building from Across the Lake in Ohio 1906
Photo courtesy of Family Tree Connection. Family Tree Connection has many orphan records online and Olive Tree Genealogy is grateful for permission to use these photos of orphans and orphan homes.
Colored Orphan Asylum, New York
This institution, established for colored orphan and
of both sexes, was founded by an association of ladies in
1836, and incorporated by an act of the Legislature, passed
May 16th, 1838. Its location is on One Hundred and
Forty-third street and Tenth avenue, near Carmansville, New
The building, now in use, was completed and occupied in
1868. It is
constructed of brick, is three stories in height, and one
hundred and twenty-five feet square. It is built, warmed
and ventilated in the most approved manner, and is fully
supplied with water and appliances for bathing. It will
accommodate one hundred and sixty inmates. The plan of the
building contemplates additions, which, it is stated, will
be made as son as may be required. A small wooden edifice
is used as a hospital, and the buildings throughout are in
good condition. The location is commanding and pleasant,
and the grounds are well laid out and improved.
The value of the property occupied by the institution is
$200,463.64. There is also an invested fund amounting to
$102,100. the receipts for there past year were $66,243.54,
and the expenditures, $52,182.70.
The institution in its early days was maintained by
collections in churches, and by the income from legacies.
The site formerly occupied on Fifth avenue was given by the
city, and for several years past a stipulated sum has been
allowed by the city government for each child maintained. At
present this allowance is seventy-five cents per week.
Appropriations have also been made from the School Fund, and
at various times from the State treasury.
The government of the institution is confided to a board
managers, with an advisory board of gentlemen. A
superintendent, assisted by a matron, is in immediate
The records show that since its establishment, sixteen
twenty-five children have been admitted. The number
supported for the past year was three hundred and
thirty-seven; the average attendance two hundred and sixty,
and two hundred and sixty-five remained October 1st.
Children are received at two years and retained until
twelve. When properly surrendered they are bound out by
indenture, and as far as practicable, sent to the country.
Occasionally the boys are apprenticed to trades, and a
stipulated sum is set apart and invested for each child, to
be paid when it shall arrive at age. While in the asylum
they are properly educated and trained to labor.
The institution was visited October 24th, 1868, in
Commissioner Dwight, and again October 26th, 1869. Its
affairs are controlled by earnest and devoted trustees, who
appear to be fully sensible of the important duties devolved
upon them. 337 total supported, 72 discharged; children
remaining October 1st, 1869: 167 boys, 98 girls.
Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities of the
State of New York, 1870; Argus Company, Printers, Albany, p.
56-57 *transcribed & submitted by Linda Conpenelis Schmidt,
5 July 2007.
. Published on Olive Tree Genealogy with permission