Your Name in History
| Find out if your Surname is part of the Our Name in History Collection! Just type your surname into the search box|
SHIPS PASSENGER LISTS
The Bevis, 1638
The following Lists of New England Emigrants are from Her Majesty's State Paper Office.
Lorine's Note: This set of records consists of various passenger lists, names of individuals ready to sail to New England, and names of those taking the Oath of Allegiance (in preparation for sailing). It is not always obvious when each ship left. Researchers will have to determine whether or not a ship made more than one sailing each year it is mentioned. The original spelling has been maintained, so you will see "Landen" for "London", etc. Note that common words found are "uxor" meaning "wife", "mr" for "Master" (of the ship)
Finding the names: You can browse each list, starting with the one below (scroll down). To browse the passenger lists of all ships I have online for this 20 year period to New England see the list of all known ships that made the voyage. I hope to find passenger lists for every ship on the list, so if you have a ship list, please consider donating it to Olive Tree.
Transciber: Laura Freeman
The Bevis, May 1638, Southhampton to New England
SOUTHAMPTON.--- The list of the names of Passeng. Intended to shipe thmesleues, In the Beuist of Hampton of CL. Tonnes, Robert Batten Mr for Newengland, And thsu by vertue of the Lord Treasurers warrant of the second of May w'th was after the restrayat and they some Dayes gone to sea Before the Kinges Mat'es Proelamacon Came boto South'uon. No. of Persons.
The nomb'r of passeng'rs aboue mentioned are Sixtie and one Soules.
- John ffrey Whelwrite of Basing, wife and 3 children
- Richard Austin 40 Taylor of Bishopstocke, his wife and 2 children
- Robert Knight 37 Carpenter Servant to R. Austin
- Christopher Batt 37 Tanner of Sarcum, Anna Batt 32 his Wife, Dorothis Batt 20 his Sister amd 5 children under 10 years
- Thomas Good 24 Servant, Eliza: Blackston 22 Servant, Rebecca Pond 18 Servant
- William Carpenter 62 Carpenter of Horwell, William Carpenter Jr. 33 Carpenter of Horwell, Abigael Carpenter 32 and 4 children 10 and under, Tho: Banshott 14 Servant
- Annis Littlefield 38 and 6 children, John Knight Carpenter, Hough Durdal
- Henery Byley 26 Tanner of Saru, Mary BYley 22, Tho: Reemes Servant, John Byley 20
- Richard Dum 40 of New england, Alce Dum 35, Tho: Dum 19, Joane Dum 19, Jane Dum 10 , Steephen Dum Husbandman, Dorothie Dum 6, Richard Dum 4, Tho: dum 2
- John Huthcinson 30 Carpenter, servant , ffrancis Alcocke 26 vizg, servant, Adam Moll 19 Taylor, servant , Will. Wackefeild 22 Servant , Nathaunel Parker 2- Servant of London Backer, Samuel Poore 18 Servant , Da'yell Poore 14 Servant, Alce Poore 20 Servant ,
Richard Bayley 15 Servant, Anna Wackefeild 20 Servant
Tho: Wurfres Coll. And Sear'
Hen: Champante Cust's.
D. Dingley Compt'r
[Endorsement.]----Southotn, 1628. The sert. And list of the Passeng'rs names gone for New England in the Bevis of Hampton, in May 1638.
Recommended New England CD for Research
The Complete Book of Emigrants, 1607-1776
Find your ancestor on more Ships Passenger Lists from England to New England, Virginia & Barbados 1620-1640:
Looking for other USA records? See USA GENEALOGY
for searchable genealogy databases
5-Step Search for Your Immigrant Ancestor in North America
search for your immigrant ancestor in the five major ports of arrival
- New York New York,
New Orleans Louisiana
If you don't find your immigrant ancestor in a large port city, try smaller
ports of arrival - Virginia, Connecticut,
North Carolina, Maine, Rhode
Florida, New Jersey, New Hampshire,
Michigan, Alaska, California, Hawaii and Washington
Still can't find your immigrant ancestor on an American ships passenger list?
Canadian Port of Arrival and the
border crossing records (Saint Albans Lists).
If you still can't find your ancestor in free ships passenger lists, try ships
passenger lists and naturalization records on a pay site. See the Immigration Comparison Chart to help you decide which of the fee-based sites has the passenger lists you need to find your immigrant ancestor
Search for ships passengers in Ethnic Groups immigrating to America, other miscellaneous
ports of arrival, Ships Passenger Lists
on NARA microfilm, J.J.
Cooke Shipping Agent Records, Castle
Garden New York Ships Passenger Lists 1855-1890, Ellis
Island New York Ships Passenger Lists 1894-1927 & Naturalization
YOUR ANCESTOR IN FREE SHIPS PASSENGER LISTS TO USA