Try an Ancestry.com Free Trial
Genealogy Mystery Book!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery
by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
JOIN the FREE Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter. Be the first to know of genealogy events and freebies. Find out when new genealogy databases are put online. Get tips for finding your elusive brick-wall ancestor.
Share With Others
Share with other genealogists! Tweet this page!
Search Olive Tree Genealogy family of websites
New Netherland New York Genealogy
Baptismal Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of Flatlands, Long Island, New York 1800 - 1802
The following is a transcription by Peter Divine, July 2001, from LDS Microfilm #17637. This is a microfilm of a handwritten transcript in possession of the Holland Society of New York, New York City. The transcription of original records (and translation from Dutch to English) was done by Dingman Versteeg into a ledger book. Only the front-side of each leaf was used (only the odd-numbered pages), except for the frontispiece on page 152. The microfilming was done in reverse order, beginning with page 231 and ending with page 152. Flatlands is now a part of the Borough of Brooklyn in the city of New York.
Notes from Peter Divine:
- "do" means "ditto", used in place of re-writing the surname of the previously mentioned individual.
- Notes and question marks that I inserted are enclosed in brackets [?].
- All other notes and question marks, including those in parentheses (), were inserted by Dingman Versteeg.
- In Dingman Versteeg's handwriting, the capital "L" is virtually indistinguishable from the capital "S", and the small "h" is indistinguishable from the small "k". Thus, what I have transcribed as "Sytje" may in some cases really be "Lytje", and what I have transcribed as "Fish" may really be "Fisk".
- I have carefully used commas as placeholders. For example, "Jacobus, Aug 17, 1748, Jacobus Wyckhof,, Sara Amerman wife of Pieter Wyckhof" indicates that Sara Amerman was listed under the "Witnesses" column [Lorine's note: meaning that the mother of baby Jacobus is not given, which you can see by the two commas and a blank space where the mother's name should be], while "Nicholas, April 6, Nicholas Schenk, Willempje Wyckoff" indicates that Willempje Wyckoff was listed under the "Parents" column.
Orderbook is MSS in Long Island Historical Society
- Jerrian, July 27 1800, Christopher Lott, Eliza, Broronjohn[?], Jerrian Lott, Catlina Van Sindere[?]
- Cornelia, bo July 18 Aug 24, Jeremiah Elsworth, Eva Slover
- Geesje, bo Aug 11[?] Aug 31, John Bergen, Maria Hubbard
- John, Nov 26 Dec 28, Denys Van Dyne, Cathlina Stoothoff
- Abigael Strong, bo Dec 14 Jan 11 1801, Daniel Voorhees,Susan Havens
- Agnes, bo Dec 7 1800 Jan 11 1801, Daniel Rapelje, Rensje Wyckoff, Angometje Rapelee
- Henry, March 15, John Barclay, Maria Selover
- Anna,, John Van Houten, Catharina Wooley
- Nellie, bo May 12 June 15, Cornelius Stoothof, Aletta Van Dyne
- Jacobus, bo July 18 in Gravesend ba. Aug, Jacobus Voorhees, Ida Stillwell
- Hannah, bo July 10 ba Sept 27, Joseph White, Jane Van Houten
- Stephen Lott, bo Sep 24 Oct, Reuben Decker, Maria Bergen
- Elisabeth, bo Jan 7 1802 Feb 21 1802, John Bennum, Anna Stoothoff
Note: A. D. B. who made a few additions to the records, often refers to old books N E & 2 and 3, which now seem to be lost both, according to a note of his, made in 1875, were at that time still in existence.
- Nancy, bo Jan 4[?] 1802 [bapt] Feb 21[?] 1802, Symon Voris, Esther Petit
- Peter, bo Feb3 March 14, John Duryee, Margareth Monfoort, + born in the bay an old name of Flatlands ([????]) A.D. 88
- Phebe, Apr 19, Jacobus Ryder, Johanna Cowenhoven
- John Guy, May 31, William Livingston, Mary Lenington
- Elisabeth, bo May 17 June 13, Hendrik Okey, Maria Woodruff
- Johannis, bo July 10 Aug 8, Johannis Emans, Margareth Ditmans, Catharine Rapalye, born at New Amersfoo..[?]
- William, bo Sept 7 Oct 10, William Cowenhoven, Johanna Wyckoff
- Abraham, bo Sept 12, Nicholas Schenck, Aletta Remsen
- George, bo. Sept Oct 10, John Van Nuys, Nelly Lott, Eliza Van Nuys.
- Sarah, bo Sept 9, Rem Wyckoff, Sarah Suydam