Try an Ancestry.com Free Trial
Genealogy Mystery Book!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery
by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
JOIN the FREE Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter. Be the first to know of genealogy events and freebies. Find out when new genealogy databases are put online. Get tips for finding your elusive brick-wall ancestor.
Share With Others
Share with other genealogists! Tweet this page!
New Netherland New York Genealogy
Baptismal Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of Flatlands, Long Island, New York 1770 - 1776
The following is a transcription by Peter Divine, July 2001, from LDS Microfilm #17637. This is a microfilm of a handwritten transcript in possession of the Holland Society of New York, New York City. The transcription of original records (and translation from Dutch to English) was done by Dingman Versteeg into a ledger book. Only the front-side of each leaf was used (only the odd-numbered pages), except for the frontispiece on page 152. The microfilming was done in reverse order, beginning with page 231 and ending with page 152. Flatlands is now a part of the Borough of Brooklyn in the city of New York.
Notes from Peter Divine:
- "do" means "ditto", used in place of re-writing the surname of the previously mentioned individual.
- Notes and question marks that I inserted are enclosed in brackets [?].
- All other notes and question marks, including those in parentheses (), were inserted by Dingman Versteeg.
- In Dingman Versteeg's handwriting, the capital "L" is virtually indistinguishable from the capital "S", and the small "h" is indistinguishable from the small "k". Thus, what I have transcribed as "Sytje" may in some cases really be "Lytje", and what I have transcribed as "Fish" may really be "Fisk".
- I have carefully used commas as placeholders. For example, "Jacobus, Aug 17, 1748, Jacobus Wyckhof,, Sara Amerman wife of Pieter Wyckhof" indicates that Sara Amerman was listed under the "Witnesses" column [Lorine's note: meaning that the mother of baby Jacobus is not given, which you can see by the two commas and a blank space where the mother's name should be], while "Nicholas, April 6, Nicholas Schenk, Willempje Wyckoff" indicates that Willempje Wyckoff was listed under the "Parents" column.
Orderbook is MSS in Long Island Historical Society
- Magdalena, Feb 18 1770, Aaron Van Pelt, Sarah Van Brunt
- Johanna,, Joost Wyckoff, Sarah Luyster, Johanna Wyckoff
- Johanna, May 11, Johannis Stoothof, Catharina Bogert, Johanna Bogert
- Elisabeth, Aug 12, Jacob Stellenwerf[?], Magdalena Van Nuis, Joost Van Nuys, Elisabeth Emans
- Cornelis, Sept 16, Wilhelmus Stoothof, Heiltje Voorhees, Lucas Voorhees, Maretje Ditmars
- Petrus, Nov 24, Leonard Van Bomelen, Antje Sprong
- Aaltje, Dec 25, Lucas Voorhees, Maritje Ditmars, Gerrit Kouwenhoven, Antje Lefferts
- Catlina, March 24 1771, Gysbert Bogart, Margaret Bos
- Jannitje, May 5, Gerrit Kouwenhoven, Antje Lefferts, Johannis Duryee, Neeltje Couwenhoven
- Deborah, June 14, Gerrit Stoothoff, Maria Voorhees, Maria Voorhees
- Willempje, June 30, Nicholas Schenck, Willempje Wyckoff
- Isaac,, Isaac Selover, Maria Johnson, Jannitje Johnson
- Hendrina, July 21, Ulpianus Van Sinderen, Magdalena Bancker, Cornelia Schenk
- Jeremias, Nov 3, Jeremias & Abigail V. D. Bilt
- Neeltje, Dec 22 1771, Jeromus Lott, Femmetje Rapelje, Jacob Snediker, Neeltje Lott
- Catlina, Jan 26 1772, Aaron Van Pelt, Sarah Van Brunt
- Gerrit, June 28, Gerrit Snediker, Anna Bogart
- Elisabeth, July 5, Jacobus Colyer, Aafje Cowenhoven
- John, Aug 2, Thomas Whitelock, Agnetta Otter
- Neeltje, Dec 26, Petrus Wyckoff, Lammetje Lott, Peter Lott, Jannitje V. Nostrand
- Maria, May 16 1773, Cornelis Corzine, Hyltje Murphy, Maria Murphy
- Maria, June 6, Isaac Selover, Maria Johnson, Maria Sewell
- Aaltje, June 20, Jeromus Lott, Lammetje Rapelje, Isaac Cortelyou, Aaltje Rapelje
- Nicasie & Johannis,, Marten Schenk, Sara Cowenhoven, Nicasie Kouwenhoven, Neeltje Van Pelt, Johannis Couwenhoven, Itie Amerman
- Jacobus, Oct 17, Rem Adriaanse, Elisabeth Ryder, Adrian Martense, Adriana Ryder
- Wilhelmus, Nov 7, Cornelis Bennet, Dorothy Voorhees, Maria Sewell
- Hendrik, March 31 1774, Johannis Lott, Setje Van Nuis, Johannis Lott
- Maria, May 12 1774, Steven Lott, Antje do
- Johannis, Nov 27, Wilhelmus Stoothoff, Hyltje Voorhees, Johannis Stoothof
- Cornelia, Dec 18, Ulpianus Van Sinderen, Magdalena Banker, Cornelia Van Sinderen
- Catlina,, Thomas Whitelock, Agnetta Otter
- Catharine,, Elias Hubbard, Margareth Lake, Nelly Blaau
- Aaltje, Jan 15 1775, Johannis Stoothof, Catharina Bogert, Gerrit Stoothof
- Joris,, Jan Willemse, Elisabeth Remsen, Jan Remsen
- Elisabeth, March 5, Adam Searsay, Maria Okee, Roelof Van Houten, Jane Okee
- Johannis, March 24, Jeromus Lott, Lametje Rapelje
- Johanna, April 9, Petrus Wyckoff, Lametje Lott, Joost Wyckoff & mother Johanna Wyckoff
- Johannis, May 7, Garret Snedoker, Anna Bogart
- Johannis, July 20, Joost Wyckoff, Sara Luyster, Hendrick Wyckoff, Johanna do
- Denys, Sept 17, John Van Duyn, Helena Van Nuys, Gerrit Van Duyn, Seytje Suydam
- Gerrit, Nov 17 1775 died June 2 1870, Petrus Wyckoff, Rhyme Denys, Gerrit Wyckoff, Jane Bloom
- Nelly, March 10 1776, Nicholas Schenk, Willempje Wyckoff, Nellie Schenk
- Coert, April 7, Aaron Van Pelt, Sara Van Brunt
- Johannis, April 25, Isaac Slover, Maria Johnson
- Douw, May 12, Wilhelmus Stoothof, Hyltje Voorhees
- Pimart, May 12, Abraham Stoothof, Catharina Pimart, Catharina Stoothof
- Wilhelmus, June 26, Peter Stoothof, Leah Van der Bilt, Gerrit Stoothof
- Catharina, June 30, Derik Remsen, Elisabeth Duryea, Derik Remsen
- Samuel, July 21, Samuel Ryder
- Catharina, Sept 22, Andrew Van Tuyl, Maria Bogert, William Douglas, & wife Catharina Buskerk
- William, Oct 7, Barend Johnson, Jetje Van Cleve
- Mathew, Oct 27, Mathew Van Dyck[?], Sara Vanderbilt, Jeremias VdBilt & wife Sara Van Brunt
- Sara,, Peter Wyckoff, Hyltje Remsen
- Daniel, Nov 10, Isaac Cortelyou, Aaltje Rapalje