Try an Ancestry.com Free Trial
Genealogy Mystery Book!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery
by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
JOIN the FREE Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter. Be the first to know of genealogy events and freebies. Find out when new genealogy databases are put online. Get tips for finding your elusive brick-wall ancestor.
Share With Others
Share with other genealogists! Tweet this page!
New Netherland New York Genealogy
Baptismal Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of Flatlands, Long Island, New York 1776 - 1780
The following is a transcription by Peter Divine, July 2001, from LDS Microfilm #17637. This is a microfilm of a handwritten transcript in possession of the Holland Society of New York, New York City. The transcription of original records (and translation from Dutch to English) was done by Dingman Versteeg into a ledger book. Only the front-side of each leaf was used (only the odd-numbered pages), except for the frontispiece on page 152. The microfilming was done in reverse order, beginning with page 231 and ending with page 152. Flatlands is now a part of the Borough of Brooklyn in the city of New York.
Notes from Peter Divine:
- "do" means "ditto", used in place of re-writing the surname of the previously mentioned individual.
- Notes and question marks that I inserted are enclosed in brackets [?].
- All other notes and question marks, including those in parentheses (), were inserted by Dingman Versteeg.
- In Dingman Versteeg's handwriting, the capital "L" is virtually indistinguishable from the capital "S", and the small "h" is indistinguishable from the small "k". Thus, what I have transcribed as "Sytje" may in some cases really be "Lytje", and what I have transcribed as "Fish" may really be "Fisk".
- I have carefully used commas as placeholders. For example, "Jacobus, Aug 17, 1748, Jacobus Wyckhof,, Sara Amerman wife of Pieter Wyckhof" indicates that Sara Amerman was listed under the "Witnesses" column [Lorine's note: meaning that the mother of baby Jacobus is not given, which you can see by the two commas and a blank space where the mother's name should be], while "Nicholas, April 6, Nicholas Schenk, Willempje Wyckoff" indicates that Willempje Wyckoff was listed under the "Parents" column.
Orderbook is MSS in Long Island Historical Society
- Jan, Dec 2 1776, Nicholas Schenk, Willempje Wyckoff, Jane Sprong
- Jan,, Joost Stillwell, Anna Willemse
- Michael,, Peter VanderVoort, Antje Cowenhoven, Michael VdVoort, Jetje Stockholm
- Elias, Dec 15, Elias Hubbard, Margaret Lake, Catharine Hubbert
- Steven, Jan 1 1777, Samuel Stryker, Maria Schenk
- Jeromus, Jan 19, Jeromus Lott, Lammetje Rapelje
- Elisabeth, March 9, Thomas Whitelock, Agnetta Otter
- Catharina,, Joost Van Brunt, Elisabeth Duryee
- Daniel, April 6, Jan Buys, Maria Van Siclen
- Phebe,, Hendrik Johnson, Elisabeth Lake, Coert Johnson & wife Phebe Stryker
- Abraham, May 8, Abraham Lott
- Phebe, Nov 23, Richard Stillwell, Maria Johnson
- Sytje,, Gerret Van Duyn, Maria DeBevoise
- Magdalena, Dec 14, Fernandus Van Sicklen, Cornelia Losier
- Isaac, Jan 11 1778, Peter Wyckoff, Rhyme Denys, Isaac Denys
- Engeltje, Feb 1, Bernardus Ryder, Femmetje Denys
- Gysbert, Feb 15, Gerrit Snediker, Annatje Bogert
- Joost, Apr 12, Johannis Lott, Jetje Van Nuys, Joost Van Nuys, Sara do
- Phebe,, William Van Dyck, Jane Denys, Isaac Denys, Phebe do
- Rensje, April 20, Joost Wyckoff, Sara Luister, Daniel Luister, Antje Nostrand
- Heiltje, May 10, Wilhelmus Stoothof, Heiltje Voorhees
- Getty, June 7, Peter Stoothof, Leah Vanderbilt
- Nellie, July 3, Jaques Johnson, Catharina Beekman
- Johannis, July 19, Johannis Stoothof, Catharina Bogert
- Eliza, July 19, Wilhelmus Van Nuys, Sara do, Joost Van Nuys & daughter Elisabeth
- Abraham, Aug 23, Samuel Hubbard, Antje Emans, Sara Cmans [Emans?]
- Gerrit, Sept 27, Peter Couwenhoven, Lammetje Lott, Antje Cowenhoven
- Garrit, Dec 6 1778, Hendrik Suydam, Ida Couwenhoven, Antje Couwenhoven
- Elisabeth, Dec 25, Samuel Gerritsen, Matje Suydam, Michael V. DerVoort, Sytje[?] Stockholm
- Elisabeth, Dec 27, Ulpianus Van Sinderen, Magdalena Banker, Elisabeth Banker
- Maria, Jan 24 1779, Elias Hubbard, Margareth Lake
- Abraham, Jan 24, John Voorhees, Rensje Wyckoff, Abraham Voorhees, & wife Adriana Lefferts
- Maria, May 2, Thomas Whitelock, Agnetta Otter
- Rutgert, May 30, Joost Stillwell, Antje Willemse
- Maria,, Andrew Cropsey, Ida Ryerson, Caspar Cropsey, Maria Barkuloo
- Roelof, June 26, Roelof Van Houten, Sara Okee, Helena Losee
- Richard, Oct 30, Richard Stillwell, Maria Johnson
- Adriana,, John Voorhees, Rensje Wyckoff
- Elisabeth, Nov 14, William Barre, Catharina Polhemus
- William, Jan 30 1780, Peter Johnson, Sarah Creed, Margareth Johnson
- Maria, Feb 13 1780, Coert Johnson, Phebe Stryker
- Daniel, March 19, John Buys, Wyntje do
- Tunis, April 2, Gerrit Snedeker, Anna Bogert
- Daniel,, Jeromus Lott, Lametje Rapelje
- Peter,, Peter Stoothof, Leah Vd Bilt
- Catharina, May 4, Lawrence Ryder, Catharina Willemse
- Sara, Sept 24, Joost Wyckoff, Sara Luyster
- Gerrit, Oct 29, William Cowenhoven, Johanna Wyckoff, Antje Couwenhoven
- David,, Steven Sprong, Margaret Lozier, Folkert Sprong, Antje do
- Gerrit,, Wilhelmus Stoothof, Heiltje Voorhees
- Jan, Nov 19, Steven Voorhees, Phebe Ryder
- Bernardus,, Bernardus Ryder, Phebe Denys
- Catharina, , Johannis Stoothof, Catharina Bogert