Try an Ancestry.com Free Trial
Genealogy Mystery Book!
Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery
by Lorine McGinnis Schulze
Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. She and her husband head to Salt Lake City Utah to research Janie's elusive 4th great-grandmother. But her search into the past leads her to a dark secret. Can she solve the mysteries of the past and the present before disaster strikes? Available now on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
JOIN the FREE Olive Tree Genealogy Newsletter. Be the first to know of genealogy events and freebies. Find out when new genealogy databases are put online. Get tips for finding your elusive brick-wall ancestor.
Share With Others
Share with other genealogists! Tweet this page!
New Netherland New York Genealogy
Baptismal Records of the Reformed Dutch Church of Flatlands, Long Island, New York 1791 - 1796
The following is a transcription by Peter Divine, July 2001, from LDS Microfilm #17637. This is a microfilm of a handwritten transcript in possession of the Holland Society of New York, New York City. The transcription of original records (and translation from Dutch to English) was done by Dingman Versteeg into a ledger book. Only the front-side of each leaf was used (only the odd-numbered pages), except for the frontispiece on page 152. The microfilming was done in reverse order, beginning with page 231 and ending with page 152. Flatlands is now a part of the Borough of Brooklyn in the city of New York.
Notes from Peter Divine:
- "do" means "ditto", used in place of re-writing the surname of the previously mentioned individual.
- Notes and question marks that I inserted are enclosed in brackets [?].
- All other notes and question marks, including those in parentheses (), were inserted by Dingman Versteeg.
- In Dingman Versteeg's handwriting, the capital "L" is virtually indistinguishable from the capital "S", and the small "h" is indistinguishable from the small "k". Thus, what I have transcribed as "Sytje" may in some cases really be "Lytje", and what I have transcribed as "Fish" may really be "Fisk".
- I have carefully used commas as placeholders. For example, "Jacobus, Aug 17, 1748, Jacobus Wyckhof,, Sara Amerman wife of Pieter Wyckhof" indicates that Sara Amerman was listed under the "Witnesses" column [Lorine's note: meaning that the mother of baby Jacobus is not given, which you can see by the two commas and a blank space where the mother's name should be], while "Nicholas, April 6, Nicholas Schenk, Willempje Wyckoff" indicates that Willempje Wyckoff was listed under the "Parents" column.
Orderbook is MSS in Long Island Historical Society
- Derick, July 31 1791, Derick Remsen, Elisabeth Duryee
- Charles, Oct 3, Isaac Remsen, Susanna Roberts
- Jane, Oct 30, Joost Van Nuys, Jane Vanderbilt, Peter Vanderbilt, & daughter Anna
- Peter,, John Voorhees, Rensje Wyckoff, Deborah Voorhees
- William, Dec 18, Benjamin Bennet, Jane Sprong
- Samuel, Jan 1 1792, Johannis Lott Abigail Fish, Peter Lott, & daughter Maria
- Samuel,, Hendrik Okee, Maria Woodruff
- James Childs, Jan 22, Roelof Voorhees, Grace Childs
- Cornelius Nagle, March 4, Johannis Ditmans, Jane Nagle, Lammitje Lott
- Jane, April 9, Barend Wyckoff, Helena Selover, Gerrit Wyckoff, & daughter Rensje
- Elias Hubbard & Phebe, bo Apr 13 Apr 24, Peter G. Wyckoff, Rimey Denys, Bernardus Ryder, & wife Phebe Denys, Adriana Voorhees
- Johannis, bo March 26, Setphen Sprong, Margaret Lozier
- John Bogart, bo April 15, Abraham Stoothof, Elisabeth Bogart, Cornelia Bogart
- Catharina, bo Apr 28 May 27 1792, Wilhelmus Stoothof, Aletta Ryder
- Ida, June 17, William Cowenhoven, Johanna Wyckoff, Hendrik Suydam
- Garrit,, Johannis Lott, Abigail Cowenhoven, Peter VanderVoort, Ann Cowenhoven
- Gerrit Stoothof, Sept 9, John Baxter, Aletta Stoothof
- Helena, Oct 21, Daniel Bennem, Nellie Johnson, John Bennem, & daughter Catharina
- Gerret, Nov 4, Denys Van Dyne, Catlina Stoothof, Sarah Stoothof
- Abraham, bo Nov 15 Nov 25, Abraham Voorhees, Maria Lott, Abraham Voorhees, Adriana Lefferts
- Joost, Dec 15, Lucas Cowenhoven, Antje Wyckoff, Sarah Wyckoff
- Wilhelmus, Feb 21 1793, Cornelius Stoothof, Aletta Van Dyne
- Abraham, bo Feb 4 March 7, Abraham Van Sicklen, Cornelia Cornell, Johannis Van Sicklen, Getty Lott
- Joseph, March 24, Joseph White, JaneVan Houten
- Rebecca,, Jeremiah Elsworth, Eva Selover, Abraham Brower, & wife Rebecka Elsworth
- Peter, bo Sept 25, Roelof Voorhees, Grace Childs, Deborah Voorhees
- Hendrick, Nov 3 1793, Daniel Selover, Francina Brower
- Helena, Nov 24, Hendrik Okee, Maria Woodruff
- Hyltje, bo Nov 2 Nov 24, Peter P. Wyckoff, Abigail Lott, Peter Wyckoff, Hyltje Remsen
- Michael, bo Feb 6 March 9 1794, Isaac Remsen Susan Roberts
- Folkert, bo Nov 16 Dec 14, Benjamin Bennet, Jane Sprong, Folkert Sprong
- John, Dec 26, Cornelius Stoothof, Aletta Van Dyne, Nellie Vander Hoven
- Abigail, Jan 6 1795, Johannis Lott, Abigail Cowernhoven, Johannis Ditmar, Ann Van der Voort
- Maria, bo Dec 14 1794 Feb 8 1795, Cornelius Stryker, Maria Lake
- Aaron, April 24, Barend Wyckoff, Helena Van Pelt, Sarah Van Pelt
- Lucretia, bo March 3 April 5, John Schenk, Antje Williamson
- Rensje, May 24, John Voorhees, Rensje Wyckoff
- Gerrit,, Lucas Cowenhoven, Antje Wyckoff, Peter Vd Voort, Ann Cowenhoven
- Catharina,, Roelof Voorhees, Grace Childs, Maria Childs
- Anna, June 21 1795, Cornelius Stryker, Adriana Schenk
- Isaac,, Jeremiah Elsworth, Eva Selover, Isaac Selover, Helena do
- Ida, July 26, Hendrik Suydam, Ida Cowenhoven
- Peter,, Peter Nevins, Sarah Stryker
- Helena,, Reuben Decker, Maria Bergen, Helena Boerum
- Folkert, bo July 24 Sept 13, Stephen Sprong, Margaret Lozier, Folkert Sprong Jr.
- Maria, Dec 6, Fredrick Cleveland, Maria Van Beuren
- Abigail, bo Nov 20, Peter Wyckoff, Abigail Lott, Johannis P. Lott
- Susannah, bo Nov 19, Peter Lake, Jane Johnson
- Getty, bo Jan 1 Feb 14 1796, Peter Lowe, Sarah Bennet
- Maria, bo Feb 24 March 20, Simeon Back, Balatie VanderVeer, Hendrick V. derVeer, Maria Voorhees
- Jane, May 8, Joseph White, Jan Van Houten
- Philip,, Johannis Ditmars, Jane Nagle